Thursday, September 2, 2010

Week Eight / Day Three

Today was almost bad. Actually, at one point today was bad.

When I started this morning I had two big problems, massive flickering in the rendering and crashing when the program was executed outside of visual studio. Well, long story short I solved both problems. I almost didn't though. As I was digging and digging I could not figure out why the flickering was occurring. I had double buffering, though I tried a whole other implementation of OpenGL that relied more on glut than on a windows provided rendering space, but to no avail. Same exact flickering. Well it turns out it was flickering because I implemented the flickering. Yeah. Rendering is supposed to go outside of the frame lock, only lock the animation updates. Otherwise massive flickering occurs. It makes sense, but it just didn't even cross my mind before.

The other problem was completely my fault as well. It turns out the directory I was working in had the files I needed to execute outside of visual studio, however it was an older version of the file, and therefore was crashing upon execution. Stupid.

Lessons learned I suppose, but I really could have saved myself a few headaches. Also, error and exception handling is at the top of my 'need-to-practice' (as in do, not learn via repetition) list now. Anyway, seen below is a screenshot of where I'm currently at. I've at least made everything round as well. Circular collision detection doesn't visually make sense with boxes flying around. Adios.

Heh, according to fraps it's running at over 2000fps. Score.

No comments:

Post a Comment