Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Week Four / Day Two

Today went alright. In turns out that what I needed to do for the level loading was actually much easier than I had expected, so right now my test level is loading at runtime from a resources file. I need to add in an option for loading custom levels as well (not compiled in), which hopefully shouldn't be too difficult either. I was going to start building the menu system today, or at least a skeleton of it, but I figured getting the textures working was more important. I have the idea of the menu all worked out but I still need to learn a lot for the textures though, so they took priority.

One of the problems I've had with using tutorials for OpenGL is the different drawing methods. Whether I'm using specific vertices, vertex arrays, or vertex buffer objects changes how everything gets drawn, and the tutorials each use whatever they feel like it seems, and I had an established setup for my renderer already set in place. Well, as is the norm with these things, it wasn't quite as simple as I had expected. I have some design decisions to make at this point about rendering, and I guess I'll make that tomorrow's focus.

Short update today, but decent progress. Happy coding.

No comments:

Post a Comment