Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Week Five / Day Two

Today went extremely well, and I'd say I've made one of the biggest one-day leaps in terms of tech demo to polished game with the work I got done. My intentions beginning the day were to work more on texturing, mainly to get placeholder graphics in for each place in the game that requires a texture. For the most part everything worked out just the way I needed, and I ended up with this as of 5 minutes ago:

What you see there are the main menu, level select screen, and an in-game shot respectively. I ended up just using static images for the buttons for the time being. Again, not something I agree with doing but I'm going to have to figure out a better solution for the level select, otherwise I'd have to make and load textures for every level, quite inefficient. The in-game stuff looks great in motion. I have that little ship over the colored ball right now, but I'm not too happy with it. The last thing I was working on today was getting it to properly rotate, so until that is done I won't be able to tell whether it's going to stay or not. Also, I added a background texture that moves based on a multiple of the ships movement, which gives it that distance effect 2D side scrollers use to make different background layers move at different speeds. My texture implementation is pretty ugly right now, and doesn't quite have all the features I need (specifically, color changing greyscale textures, so as not to need separate textures for each color of buttons, planets, etc.), so tomorrow once I'm satisfied with the ship and I have the rest of the placeholders setup, I'll be diving into that. I also have a bit of a bug currently. While the simulator runs fine, it seems the red and blue values of textures are getting swapped when running on the iPhone. Not a huge deal, but just an annoyance that needs to get ironed out. I posted up on idevgames about it, so hopefully I get some useful insight. Until tomorrow, happy coding.


EDIT: Almost forgot, I also created the app icon, or at least an initial design for one.

No comments:

Post a Comment