Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Day Two: More fairly unintersting intro crap

So I've just about finished up day two here in my little office. Today I started messing around with Objective-C a bit more, just doing some basic terminal apps, class creation and linking, etc. As it is a superset of C, I know a bulk of the language already, it is just the object-oriented side that I need to become familiar with. It's similar to C++, and performs most of the same actions but goes about them in different ways. Also, it is dynamically typed which I'm hoping to figure out how to take better advantage of.

I got the sample code from the developer's center working as well. I hadn't installed the newest version of the SDK out of fear that it wouldn't be backwards compatible, but I'm still able to compile with my older device as a target, so all is well. The first sample program I've played with is an accelerometer graph as it's the first input mechanism I want integrate with openGL.

Lastly I watched a lecture on openGL. It went over the API's involved in running openGL ES on the iPhone and some tricks for a few performance gains. It also introduced a diagnostic tool on the Mac called 'Instruments' which allows for all sorts of data to be collected while running code on the iPhone (or the Mac itself).

Tomorrow I plan on tinkering with the openGL code a bit more. The method I used for graphics programming previously was quite inefficient, and completely unsupported in openGL ES. I suppose it's for the better, as now is the time I need to start going about my work with the focus of organization and performance, and programming at a professional level. Depending on how well that goes I'll start to tie the accelerometer into openGL, and go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment